How do I get the COVID certificate if I was vaccinated abroad?
Have you already got an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a certificate which is compatible with the EU Digital COVID Certificate? If so, you don’t need to apply for a Swiss COVID certificate as these are also recognised in Switzerland. You will find more information on the page Travel abroad and global statistics.
If you don’t have a corresponding certificate, you can apply for a Swiss COVID certificate online via the National COVID certificate application platform provided that you were vaccinated abroad with a vaccine that is approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). This concerns the following vaccines:
- Comirnaty® / BNT162b2 / Tozinameran (Pfizer/BioNTech)
- Spikevax® / mRNA-1273 / COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna)
- Vaxzevria® / AZD1222 / Covishield™ or other licensed products (AstraZeneca)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
You must be able to prove that you are resident in Switzerland, that you are a Swiss national living abroad, or that you intend to travel to Switzerland (e.g. as a tourist). You must be able to provide evidence of the vaccine you received abroad. You must also be able to provide evidence of your stay in Switzerland, or, if you are a Swiss national living abroad, your link to Switzerland. If you are planning to travel to Switzerland, you must be able to provide evidence of your intended trip (e.g. a hotel booking, plane or train ticket). You also need to be able to prove your identity.
You can also apply for a Swiss COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad with a vaccine that is on the WHO Emergency Use List but not authorised by Swissmedic or the European Medicines Agency (EMA). This concerns the following vaccines:
- SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (Vero Cell) (Sinopharm/BIBP)
- CoronaVac (Sinovac)
A Swiss COVID certificate is only issued under the following conditions:
- You must submit the application in person so that your details can be checked on the spot. Find out more on the cantonal websites.
- You must belong to a certain group. You’ll find the list in the COVID-19 Certificates Ordinance.
- COVID certificates cannot currently be issued for vaccination with Sputnik V or other vaccines not approved for use by the WHO.